If you have a central air conditioning system, you may be aware that this important appliance can be one your home’s largest energy consumers. For clients in all of our service areas, like Minneapolis, Eden Prairie and Eagan, air conditioning energy usage is of a primary concern due to ever-increasing energy costs. There are steps you can take, however, to reduce the amount of energy your air conditioner consumes.
The best ways to control your A/C’s energy usage is to reduce unessential usage and to install an energy-efficient system. Here are some suggestions on how to maximize your air conditioner’s energy efficiency:
- Have Aabbott Ferraro install a programmable thermostat in your home. A programmable thermostat gives you the ability to set your A/C to a warmer setting when you leave your home, then begin cooling again a half hour before you get home.
- Set the thermostat between 74 degrees and 78 degrees, or the highest temperature that’s most comfortable for you.
- If you have a central air conditioner that was installed in the 1970s, have it replaced to a modern, more energy-friendly one. This step can reduce consumption between 30% and 50%.
- Ensure the air conditioning system you have or are thinking about buying is properly sized for your home. Systems too large will consume more energy than one that is suitably sized for your home. If you need help determining what size system to buy, contact us today.
- Look at your budget and buy the most energy-friendly model that you can afford. Energy efficient models can be found by looking for the ENERGY STAR® label.
- If you’ve recently upgraded your system and find that your energy consumption is still high, consider upgrading your home’s insulation and windows to products that prevent energy from being wasted.
Is your air conditioner costing you too much in energy costs? Call us now at (651) 776-7214 or Click Here to Request a Free Estimate.